Traveling by Plane
What to Wear:
I like to wear comfortable, yet stylish clothes, while traveling by plane. In fact, I just flew home last night from a week long trip to our lake house in Michigan, and wore an outfit similar to the one I designed, above.
What I would recommend wearing on a plane trip:
- Black, or dark colors, are a good idea while traveling. These are less likely to get (or look) dirty.
- Comfortable pants are a must, since you are sitting for much of your travels.
- A comfortable pair of flats work very well – they are easy to take off and put back on while going through security, and you can walk long distances in them. They also make the outfit look “put together.”
- A cardigan, light jacket, or a rain coat work beautifully. Airports and planes can get quite cool.
- A scarf can be used for warmth, as well.
- Jewelry is a personal preference, although I believe that less is recommended while traveling. Normally, I wear the minimum amount – a pair of stud earings, one of my less expensive watches, and my wedding ring.
What not to wear:
Here is a list of a few items I would not recommend wearing (this doesn’t apply to young children or teenagers – these two groups of people have their own “comfortable style” when it comes to traveling, lol):
- flip flops and most open-toed shoes
- short shorts
- yoga pants
- high heels
- work out, jogging, hiking shoes/boots
- very tight jeans
- tees with offensive or vulgar words, slogans, etc.
- expensive jewelry, other than wedding rings
- slippers, crocs
- pajama pants
Obviously, the above list is very subjective. Our current culture certainly considers all of the items listed above as “acceptable” travel attire and I saw most of these items at the Chicago airport, yesterday. Personally, I liked the days when people dressed up to fly.
What to carry on:
What you choose to carry on the plane is a personal preference and there are many suggestions available on the internet. For me, again, less is best. I check a bag and travel with one single carry on. When I do this, my experience in the airport and on the plane is less hectic, less stressed, less cumbersome and far more enjoyable.
What do you like to carry on?
- Burberry trench coat – it has been so wet all across the country, a trench coat is a perfect choice.
shopbop.com – I love these and the color is perfect. A nude pair of flats goes with almost any outfit and ideal for traveling.
lordandtaylor.com – Tumi luggage is expensive and certainly an investment piece.
tradesy.com – This is a perfect size for traveling and will fit most essentials.
bloomingdales.com – I am a huge fan of this watch. I do own one just like it and find that it works great for work and for play, and of course for traveling.